Saturday, November 1, 2008

Week 12 Forum - Stephen steers the university battleship through oceans of amusement


Basically we discussed the course (and anything else we that came up).

There were some really interesting points raised about the nature of education, particularly in an artistic field. Is it actually possible to have an argument with Stephen? I suspect not - even if you get close, he'll pull out a wise cooking metaphor and make you stop and consider.

I agree with David that studying art that you don't (yet) enjoy is a mind opening process that is always a good thing, particularly if it's very developed art.

The stuff I said in forum was kind of just a rant and wasn't very clear, so I don't think it was very helpful. But when I mentioned Year 12 Music Tech, what I actually had at the back of my mind was that it's kind of opposite to this course. Here, we are all taught a wide range of techniques, must analyse a wide range of fixed styles, and then have to create music that uses particular techniques in a particular style. Last year, it was entirely about thinking of a sound you like and then heading for it, and all the tuition was about developing your particular compositions.

Well the outcome is that I consider pretty much everything I've done musically before the last 6 months to be embarrassingly boring really... so I think it's better to learn techniques, then take a breath and quickly make some music every now and then. Maybe this is because in electronic mediums, much of the originality come in the techniques of creating sound, and there are limitless undiscovered methods.

Reference: Stephen Whittington. "Music Studies (Music Technology) Course Feedback." Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 30 October 2008.

No comments: