Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Week 9 Audio Arts - FM Synthesis

Audio Demo

Basic FM Synth
A simple FM synth based on the readings using one carrier and one modulator. The amplitude of the modulator is controlled in such a way that at 1.0, the frequency of the carrier moves between 0 and 2f (f is the note being played).

One envelope controls the overall output, while another controls the modulation depth.

I found that this simple FM setup was actually very effective for recreating real world sounds, particularly metallic percussion sounds. I was so proud of my gamelan emulation (reverb helped), that I had to design some upbeat gamlan elevator music (see audio demo). I think we should install this in the new Schulz elevator when no-one's looking.

Badass FM Synth
I tried expand the concept by using five oscillators linked in a chain so each oscillator modulates the next, so I suppose there are four modulators and one carrier. Each modulation stage has it's own modulation depth envelope. You can take audio feeds from the last three oscillators in the chain and mix them in stereo.

It did create some complex noisey textures, however I found it hard to create anything that was particularly real world by making use of the extra oscillators.

Reference: Christian Haines. "Additive Synthesis." Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 14 October 2008.

No comments: